This is me
The Major is me.
Sebagai orang Indonesia, saya sangat akrab mendengar betapa kita dinilai sebagai bangsa yang ramah dan penuh senyum. Persepsi asing yang telah mengkristal, yang tanpa disadari kita akui kebenarannya.
Di sisi lain, telah tertanam pula sejak kecil bahwa bule atau ‘orang barat’ adalah manusia…
The best and the brightest that determine Sharia Law have decided that if a woman swims in the sea she is committing adultery. The reasoning is because the Arab word for sea is masculine, it cannot touch her body.
To the mullahs’ advantage, question unfortunately is also masculine.
Ah, but so too is silence!
- globally, 77,600,000 girls do not attend school
- there are 33,000,000 fewer girls than boys in primary education
- girls with secondary education are 6 times less likely to be married as children
- a girl with 7 years of schooling in the developing world will have 2.2 fewer children
- a child born to a literate mother is 50% more likely to survive past the age of 5
- two thirds of the 775,000,000 illiterate adults, and 63% of illiterate youth, are female
- literate mothers are twice as likely to immunize their children and send them to school
- a girl who completes basic education is 3 times less likely to contract HIV
- a girl earns 20% more as an adult for every additional year of education she receives
- a nation’s GDP rises an average of 3% when 10% more its girls attend school
- less than 2% of international development funds are specifically allocated to girls
- school is not free in over 50 countries
photos: (1) malala yousafza before addressing the un; (2) joey l. of a school for the hamar tribe in ethiopia; (3) beawiharta in jakarta of students who risk life crossing a collpased bridge to get to school; (4) muhammed muheisen in pakistan; (5) altaf gadri of an unofficial school run for slum dwellers held under a bridge in new delhi; (6) paula bronstein of burmese refugees in thailand at a school in their refugee camp; (7) noah seelam in hyderabad, india; (8) per anders pettersson, uganda; (9) lana slezic in afghanistan; (10) roberto schmidt in afghanistan, where acid attacks and poisoning of water by the taliban is on the increase at schools for girls
reasons for me refusing to go to college:
- the term “bachelor’s degree”. there is serious need of some gender neutrality here and it’s disgraceful that we still use this obsolete language in the 21st century. if you’re a proud, unapolagetic owner of a “bachelor’s degree” you need to be put down.